Wednesday 13 January 2016

'Christian' or Christ-like? (Of Apes And Men)

I recently introduced my younger sons to the Planet of the Apes movie series. Having worked our way through the 5 original movies (and turned a blind eye to the 2001 abomination) we then watched the 2011 reboot, 'Rise' and its sequel, 'Dawn'.

Needless to say, the whole concept of two intelligent species vying for supremacy of the planet has given rise to some interesting conversations. Personally, I have found myself musing on the portrayal of the relationship between ape and mankind, and particularly the idea that both species had their share of 'good' and 'evil' characters.

As a collective, neither the humans nor the apes could claim superiority when it came to moral behaviour. There were representatives of both species who exhibited character traits of trust, loyalty and integrity - beings of goodwill. And yet both could also offer examples of those who sought their own 'good' above all else - who were willing to act with ill intent towards their own or the other species.

Some apes acted with compassion, empathy, and "human" decency. Some humans acted like animals. There were 'good' men, and 'evil' apes. What mattered was not how they identified themselves, but how they acted towards others.


Now you may be wondering what is the point of all this. Let me explain.

Over the past few years particularly, I have been treated appallingly by some who claim to be christians. I have been bullied, betrayed, abused, shunned, yelled at, and lied about. In fact, I have been so traumatised by the behaviour of the religious that I felt I had lost all capacity to trust anyone who identified as 'christian'. My experience has proved that they can be toxic.

But re-visiting these movies has helped me in the process of gaining a healthier perspective.

Just as there were some beings among both ape and human populations whose behaviour was malicious, self-serving or just plain stupid, so there are people out there who call themselves 'christian' but act in ways that could never be identified with Jesus.

Likewise, there are people who display Christ-like behaviour regardless of the label they (or others) might apply to themselves.

C S Lewis articulated this concept in 'The Last Battle':
"...the Glorious One bent down his golden head and touched my forehead with his tongue and said, Son thou art welcome. But I said, Alas, Lord, I am no son of thine but the servant of Tash. He answered, Child, all the service thou hast done to Tash, I account as service done to me... I take to me the services which thou hast done to him. For I and he are of such different kinds that no service which is vile can be done to me, and none which is not vile can be done to him. Therefore if any man swear by Tash and keep his oath for the oath's sake, it is by me that he had truly sworn, though he know it not, and it is I who reward him. And if any man do a cruelty in my name, then, though he says the name Aslan, it is Tash whom he serves and by Tash his deed is accepted."
And so I have been reminded that actions speak louder than words. It's by our 'fruit' - the way we live - that we are recognised. So you can label yourself any way you like; but the way you behave, the way you treat others will tell who and what you really are.

If your religion causes you to hurt others, you may want to re-consider it. For myself, I'm going to concentrate on 'Christ-like' and not worry about 'christian'. I'm going to trust love, not a label.

6 comments:


  1. Me too...
    "I'm going to trust love..."❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What mattered was not how they identified themselves, but how they acted towards others."

    and

    "So you can label yourself any way you like; but the way you behave, the way you treat others will tell who and what you really are."

    and the rest of what you wrote reminds me of these words from Ephesians 5:6-11

    Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.  Therefore do not be partakers with them. For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great verse to remember. Thanks for sharing it :)

      Delete
  3. I totally get what you mean, and have to catch myself when I am the one acting like someone who does not belong to Jesus.

    This post is excellent and I posted links on Twitter and Facebook, LL.

    ReplyDelete